Sunday, January 20, 2013

One Week Down...

...and fifteen to go!

I can't believe I've already been back to school for a whole week! It's been a whirlwind week of catching up with friends, getting a solid start on schoolwork, and changing my major (more on that soon!).

I've really enjoyed my classes so far. I ended up switching one of them, Digital Media: Art, Culture, Theory to the Fiction Writing Workshop. I never even went to a Digital Media class, so I can't comment on how it was, but I've heard great things. The Fiction Writing is more in line with my new major, so I decided to take it this semester! So now my schedule is:

Mon/Wed
8:00-9:35 Intro to Philosophy

Tues/Thurs
9:45-11:20 Aftermaths
11:30-1:05 Acting Techniques

Thurs
1:15-4:35 Fiction Writing Workshop

Yes, that does mean I have Fridays off still! Lucky me!

Here are my initial thoughts on my classes:

Philosophy
I feel really bad saying this, but I do not like Philosophy. Not the class- just the subject. I hate arguing and  I feel like there's never really an answer. But Jim, my professor, seems to know how to break it down really well. We've only done two reading so far, but I've gone into class not really understanding what we read and leaving with a much clearer sense of what I just learned. It's at 8am, but it's a really discussion based class so, so far, I have yet to have a problem staying awake. I think it will be a good class for me because it takes me out of my comfort zone.

Aftermaths
I really enjoy this class so far. It's an English class about the aftermaths of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and the Recession. So far, we've read some articles following 9/11 from publications like The New Yorker and The Onion. My professor seems really passionate about the class, and has lead some great discussions about 9/11.

Acting Techniques
This class is a lot of fun. It gets us up off our feet in the middle of the day, which I am really grateful for. Also, I have this class with my friend Colleen! This class is going to be mainly focused on scene work, so I think it will teach me a lot as an actor. I just finished reading the first play that we are going to be using, Dinner with Friends. It was a great read and I can't wait until Tuesday when I can start my work on it!

Fiction Writing Workshop
This class is with Liz, who taught my First Year Seminar last semester. I really enjoyed writing in her class and thought it would be a fun class in a possible minor. I was a little intimidated being the only First Year in the class, but it didn't even really matter once I got there. The class only meets once a week so it's going to take time management to get all the work done, but I am really looking forward to improving my skills as a writer!

Overall, I'm really happy with my classes and think it's going to be an awesome semester.

Lastly, let me show you some pictures from the first week back:



SNOW!!!!! On the walk from Joyce to Alliot.

First week back means a trip to City Market to stock up on dorm room essentials, like cheese!

The lovely spread that Alex came up with for the VITA social!!

Snow on the campus! As seen from the Farrell Room, St. Ed's.

Well, that's my first week! Hope everyone had a great week themselves :)

No comments:

Post a Comment