Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dorm Room Recipes: Rocky Road Bark

Happy Tuesday!

I love to cook and bake. It makes me really happy to cook and share food with my friends or family, and I did it a lot over the past break. I've definitely had an adjustment over the past few days as I don't have access to a kitchen. In the first year dorms, we are pretty much allowed a microwave and an electric kettle. I do not have a microwave as I have never needed one... I'm not a fan of Easy Mac, popcorn, or heated leftovers. But I did want to bake something. So over the weekend, I got a little creative with some food I had in my room. I thought I would share the recipe for this delicious Rocky Road Bark.

Rocky Road Bark, Dorm Room Style
 
Here is what you need to make the recipe:
Electric kettle
Tupperware container with lid
Spoon

Here are the ingredients you need:
Almonds (I prefer sea salted, but anything will work)
Semi sweet chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows

1. Put about a cup of chocolate chips into the tupperware container... you want enough to cover the bottom. Turn on your electric kettle and wait a few minutes until the water comes to a full boil.

It's kind of upside down, but the water is boiling!
2. Remove the top of the kettle, then place the container directly on top. Try to block as much of the steam as you can.

You want enough chocolate chips to cover the bottom of the container

3. Wait a minute or so for the chocolate to begin to melt, then begin to stir with your spoon. When the chocolate is a good half melted, you can remove it from on top of the kettle and stir harder. It should all melt.

The chocolate is starting to melt...
It's okay if it's a little lumpy, it will all harden up after anyways!

4. Throw some almonds and mini marshmallows on top of the melted chocolate. It really is up to you... I think it's good to have about equal parts of almonds and marshmallows and to make sure they are mostly covered by the chocolate. Stir them in so everything is evenly distributed.

Throw what you want to mix in on top...

...and mix until you're happy!

5. Once you are happy with how your bark looks, stick it in the freezer section of your fridge, uncovered, for half an hour or until it's solid. You can break it up by twisting the two sides of the container in opposite directions.

Stick it in the freezer!

6. Enjoy!

Finished product!

This would be the perfect snack to bring to a party (it will get devoured, fast) or wrap up in a nice cellophane bag and give as a cheap and easy birthday gift to a friend.

Hopefully, over the course of the semester, I will be featuring some more Dorm Room Recipes! Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment