Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Very Busy Weekend

Hello all! I am at the tail end of a very busy, but very fun weekend.

My weekend officially started at 10:50 on Friday! After my General Psychology class ended, I went back to my room, dropped off my stuff and headed for the bus stop. The bus stop is located just outside the first entrance to school, between McCarthy Arts Center and Ross/Tarrant, the gym. There was an 11:13 bus that got me into the intersection of Cherry St. and Church St. around 11:35. I needed to pick up a few things at Rite Aid, and wanted to explore Churst St. a little. There are so many little shops and cafes, so I spent about an hour just wandering around. I ended up getting lunch at The Skinny Pancake (they have a food cart on Church St.). I got 'The Lumber Jack' which is a crepe filled with local ham and Cabot cheddar. It was so good, I forgot to take a picture before I finished it. Sorry!

After I took the bus back to school, I went to the beach with VITA. VITA is the student to student Ministry group at school, and they planned out an awesome social for us. We all piled into cars and they drove us to Oakledge Park, about fifteen minutes from school. It was a great and relaxing time... the perfect thing for a Friday afternoon after a busy week! We had subs on the beach and it was a great time to meet new people.

It looks a little cloudy, but it was actually a great beach day :)
I got back to school around 7:30 and discovered I had left my keys inside of my room. Luckily it was after 7pm, so there was an RA on duty who was very nice and let me into my room (our RAs ROCK!). I knew that I would lock my keys in my room eventually, so I'm glad it was at a time when I wasn't in a rush. I watched a movie I had taken out of the library last week (they have THE best DVD collection ever, and I can take movies out whenever I want! It's so great.) while I waited for the 10pm social to begin.

Every Friday and Saturday night, the residence halls put on socials for us to hang out, get to know people, and have some snacks. The social on Friday night was called 'What Would You Do For A Klondike Bar?' and basically we had to do silly things to earn a Klondike Bar. One guy had to paint his nails, someone took a shot of hot sauce, and someone had to lead a congo line and come back with at least five more people than they left with. Personally, I had a 'who can blow up more rubber gloves in a minute?' challenge with Jan-Luis (who is also trying out to be an SMC Blogger!).  We both tied by blowing up four. It was silly, but a lot of fun.

Saturday morning, I did not wake up in time for breakfast. I woke up around 10am and got brunch (which is turning out to be my favorite meal at school) when it opened around 11am. Brunch is awesome because there are so many options... a breakfast bar, a waffle bar, pizza, a lunch entree. After that, I did some homework. I am trying to get all of my homework for Monday and Tuesday done over the weekend, so I had a good amount to do. Saturday afternoon was the Welcome Back Bash, and I knew I would be busy on Sunday, so I decided to get a lot of work done. It was a good idea, and I left the library in time for the Welcome Back Bash!

The band Vasudo performed at the Welcome Back Bash
Because of weather (a tornado warning) the Welcome Back Bash was held inside Alliot instead of on the 300s field. There was a band and a huge dinner. We all had the option to upgrade to Steak or Lobster for $3, so I decided to get a steak. They also had things like hamburgers, BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, pasta salad, and strawberry shortcake. It was sooo good. There was a live band and raffles and lots of fun stuff going on.

My steak and someone else's lobster
The next event on my agenda for the night was 'Salsa & Salsa', a social which was going on in Alumni, another building on the quad. We ate chips and salsa and learned how to salsa dance. I went with a few other girls from my floor and we had a BLAST! It was seriously the most fun I've had in a long time, even if I am not the best salsa dancer.
Salsa & Salsa!

After Salsa & Salsa was over, I went and watched the new episode of Doctor Who in the Joyce lounge with Colleen (also trying out to be an SMC Blogger!!). The episode was interrupted by the 'Doorstops & Donuts' event that my own RA was leading. We got to paint bricks that would serve as awesome doorstops. After that was over, I had to go to sleep because I had work in the morning.

My new doorstop!

I work in Alliot on Sunday mornings for brunch, so I was up early. After work was over, it was time to finish up homework and get ready for choir rehearsal. I joined Liturgical Choir, and we practice at 5:30 for the 7pm mass. I love Lit. Choir... I have only been a part of it for two weeks, and I already feel so at home there :) Sunday and Wednesday nights (our other rehearsal time) are some of my favorite parts of the week. We sang some really fun songs this week, and had birthday cake because it was our Director's birthday.

Now, the events are over and I am in my room doing some last minute studying before two quizzes tomorrow. It was a great weekend... busy and fun, but great. It's safe to say that Saint Mike's is starting to feel a lot more like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment