Thursday, October 18, 2012

Six Tips for Surviving College Admissions Season

Hello everyone! I've seen a ton of high school seniors on campus lately touring Saint Mike's! I even saw someone from my high school here the other day, which was especially exciting. It's hard to believe that it's been a whole year since I was in their place, living in the crazy, stressful, and exciting time that is college admissions season! I've compiled a few tips for anyone going through it:

1. Stay organized! When you are applying to schools, there is a lot to keep track of! Paperwork, visits to schools, interview appointments, and deadlines will start taking over your life. Do what you have to in order to maintain order! Buy a planner or a calendar to mark off all the due dates for your applications and make sure you are on top of things. It will save you from freaking out two days before an application is due and it isn't completed.

2. Schedule down time! The fall of senior year is stressful, there's no doubt about that. On top of your normal course work, you have all these applications and supplements to work on. In order to stay sane, schedule in some time that is fun and relaxing. Whether it's an afternoon out shopping or a movie marathon with your friends, you need some time to decompress and stay sane!

3. Start your applications early! I filled out my CommonApp in August, before school began. I knew that I would be super busy once school started and wanted to have it out of the way. The earlier you can get your applications and supplements out of the way, the sooner they are out of your hands and you can focus on other things!

4. Check out as many schools as possible! Even if you don't think you're going to be interested in a school, it doesn't hurt to do your research. Things like some time on their website, hearing what their students have to say, even a visit if they're close, can completely change your view of a school. I didn't want to apply to St. Michael's, but once I came and visited campus, I fell in love.

5. After you visit, write your initial thoughts down! Chances are, when you are making your school decision, you haven't visited in awhile. It's a good idea to write down exactly what you thought of the college shortly after you visit, to preserve the memory for when you have to pick. I still have my initial thoughts for all the schools I visited!

And most importantly...

6. Enjoy the moment! In just a few months, you will be off to college and most likely heading in different directions from all your friends. It can be easy to be so wrapped up in all of the stuff you're doing and forget how important the important people in your life are!

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment