Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Classes So Far

I am almost halfway done with this semester! It's crazy. Time is really flying by. I am busy with classes and homework, clubs, and hanging out with my friends. I am definitely being challenged in my classes, but so far I am doing well!


Here is a run down of my classes:


The two main books we use
Christianity Past and Present
The first week of school, I ended up switching sections of this class. It fit my schedule better, and from looking at the syllabus, I could tell I would do better with my new professor's structure. I have Father David Theroux. He is so nice and always happy, he says good morning to everyone by name when we walk in to class. His class is early in the morning, from 8:30-935 on M/W/F, and even though sometimes I am still waking up, I enjoy it a lot. You can tell he puts a ton of work into his slideshows because they are really informative and fun to look at. We have already covered the Old Testament and the New Testament, and we have moved on to the early Church!  Every student at Saint Mike's has to take a 100 level religion course, so this class fulfills that requirement. I am also considering adding a Religious Studies minor because I am enjoying it so much.




My Psych text book- it cost $8 on half.com!
General Psychology
General Psych is probably the most challenging class I am taking. It's not anything I can't do, it's just that we cover a lot of information. My professor, Professor Adams, is really straightforward with the material we are learning and the evaluations, and really helpful if we have questions. I have this class right after Christianity, from 9:45-10:50. His slide shows are also really well done. They usually have some amusing sound clips or videos to demonstrate the concept we are learning about. He also puts all his slide shows on eCollege, which is the class website, so we can download them to take notes on or study from. He starts every class with a little music and a comic on the overhead, which is a really cool way to begin. Because I am a Psychology major, this is a required class.





One of the books we use
The Examined Life
My first class on Tuesdays and Thursdays is The Examined Life, my First Year Seminar. I have it from 9:45-11:20. The class is longer than my M/W/F classes, but it doesn't feel like it. My professor, Professor Inness-Brown Monley (long name, long story) is awesome. In the class, we are learning how to write Scholarly Personal Narratives, telling a story and weaving in research we have done. It's great because we are learning how to locate and deal with sources while becoming better writers. There are only fifteen students in my class, so it is really small and we have all gotten to know each other really well. We do a lot of group work like peer editing so we can get feedback on our writing. Every First Year student has to take a First Year Seminar, so this class fulfills that requirement.





Media Revolutions
Our textbook!

I have this class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:15-2:50. It's a course in the Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts department, and I took it because that department also really interested me. My professor, Professor Griffith, has a ton of knowledge about media and journalism because she worked in it before she became a professor. I like that she runs our class in a discussion format. We are all able to discuss how media affects our every day lives. Each week, we focus on a different form of media, from newspapers to movies to the radio. Also, sometimes she has guest speakers come to talk to us about the media industry. Last week, our topic was Movies, so a professor she knows from Champlain College came over and talked to us about his experience in the industry. He talked about the stages of production in movies and how the industry works. It's really great to get a hands on perspective.





If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me! Have a great week, everyone! :)

1 comment: