I said earlier this week that I would talk about the pros and cons to all my options for where to live next year. I want to remain in G.R.E.A.T. Housing and I want to live in a single again, which means my options are a little more limited than most. So here goes nothing:
|picture of Alumni Hall from smcvt.edu|
- Alumni is located on the quad so it's a quick walk to everything on Main Campus (Alliot, academic buildings, library)
- Alumni will be connected to the new student center, so I can take advantage of everything that has to offer
- Alumni is set up very similar to how my current hall is, so it's familiar
- All of the fourth floor will be G.R.E.A.T. Housing
- The basement has a nice lounge with pool tables/couches and would be a great place to hang out
- Alumni doesn't have many singles so it could be hard to get one
- If I'm located that close to the new student center (I wouldn't even have to go outside!) I might be really tempted to go spend money at the new restaurants they're putting in there (an Einstein Bros. Bagels and a grille!)
- Fourth floor. Enough said.
|photo of Hamel Hall from smcvt.edu|
- All of Hamel Hall will be G.R.E.A.T. Housing
- There are lots of singles on North Campus so I have a good chance of getting one
- The rooms are bigger than the ones on the Quad and the ceilings are really high
- Access to the balcony- would be so nice when the weather is warm!
- There's housing for about 50 people, so it would be a great little community
- There's a kitchen on the first floor that any one can use
- It's on North Campus (about a 5 minute shuttle ride from Main Campus)
- Hanging out with my friends will take more coordination than just walking down two flights of stairs and seeing if they're home
The Suites (Cashman, Pontigny, Canterbury)
|photo of Pontigny and Canterbury from smcvt.edu|
- The suites are really new and nice... they were completed in 2004
- The suites are in a convenient location, close to Alliot and only a short walk to everything else
- I would get a single room, but at the same time be sharing a common room with seven other girls. The first floor also has a large common room!
- Each floor has a kitchen to use
- Three suites are set aside for G.R.E.A.T. Housing (24 beds), two for groups of 8 and one to "single in" (sign up for by myself)
- Because I don't have 7 friends to go in with, I would have to "single in" and would have no clue who I am signing up to live with
- In front of a busy road, it might be loud
So... those are my options! The new residence hall might also be an option, but we haven't heard much about that so I haven't included it in my list. I am going to treat it like it's not an option but if there happens to be a spot when I go to sign up for a room, I will definitely take it!
Right now, I am leaning towards living in Hamel Hall next year. It seems to have a lot of great features and I have heard nothing but great things about the community on North Campus. I know that wherever I end up, I will be happy and make it my own space. I will be sure to keep you updated on where I am living!
If you have any questions, about the housing process or about SMC in general, feel free to contact me, or ask anonymously on my formspring! Have a great long weekend!