Thursday, November 15, 2012

My First St. Mike's Thanksgiving!

Hello everyone :) Hope you're having a wonderful week.

Last night was something I had been waiting for awhile... THANKSGIVING IN ALLIOT!!A lot of the upperclassmen had told me how awesome Thanksgiving is so I was really excited to get to experience it for myself. Of course it is no replacement for the Thanksgiving dinner I will eat with my family next week, it was wonderful to get to enjoy a nice meal with my St. Mike's family.

It was a beautiful day yesterday... a little chilly, but really sunny. This is what the sunset looked like... so pretty!

Beautiful sunset over by Pomerleau Alumni Center
 My friends and I all had a Founder's Society (this group includes tour guides, bloggers, alumni relations) Meeting so after that was over we all wanted to go to dinner together. I had been told that dinner would be packed since everyone goes to Thanksgiving dinner. We had to hunt around a bit for a table, but we found a nice one in the back and claimed it. The staff in the dining hall do a really nice job on making everything look nice. We even had tablecloths on the tables!

Tablecloths are so fancy!

After we put our stuff on the table to claim it, we went up and got our food. There was everything you could possibly want for Thanksgiving... turkey, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, peas and boiling onions, corn, all sorts of bread and rolls.


My dinner :) Cranberry sauce, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and a roll!
They even had a vegan option. I'll be honest, I did not stop to see what it was because I was so excited about turkey, but the dining hall does a GREAT job of catering to special diets, even on special days. My friend Colleen is a vegetarian but she opted just to get mashed potatoes, peas, and onions (and dessert of course) and she said it was really good.

Even the vegetarian found stuff to eat!
 Dessert was a sight of itself. They had all the classics... apple crisp, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and more. I went for a piece of cheesecake, which I then covered in caramel and chocolate. My friends got the pumpkin pie and said it was awesome.

Cheesecake!!!!
We spent over an hour in Alliot eating dinner and enjoying each other's company. Thanksgiving break starts on Tuesday and we will all be heading in our separate directions for a few days... but I am really thankful to have these people in my life and it was nice that we got our own Thanksgiving together.

I am so thankful for all the people at St. Mike's. The people here are so friendly. From the people I don't know who hold the door for me going into Alliot to Dave, the guy who swipes cards in Alliot, to my amazing professors... they're all such nice people.

But most of all, I am thankful for my close friends. In the not-quite-three months that I have been here, I have completely found my place in this community. I have the greatest friends here... I know they always have my back. Three months ago we were strangers, but it is amazing how close you can get to people so quickly. From getting each other's silly (and sometimes... cheesy) humor to having the same taste in movies/TV shows/books to doing little things just to brighten each other's days... these people are truly my friends and it's wonderful. I am so, so lucky to be able to be here and be surrounded by such warm and genuine people.


Colleen and Erica!

Katie, JLo, and Erica
I hope everyone's week is going well. I have a busy few days, but I am headed home next Tuesday and I can't wait.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!


No comments:

Post a Comment